Whether you are training to be a barber or a hairdresser, successful hair stylists need to know how to cut and men’s hair in a variety of ways and looks. To that end Career.Training is posting the following men’s hair style guide featuring 19 different looks from Tom Cruise movies.
Styling men’s hair can vary in difficulty depending on the desired style, the texture and length of the hair, and the skill level of the person doing the styling. Some styles may require more precision and attention to detail, while others may be more relaxed and easy-going.
In general, basic styling techniques such as using a comb, brush, or fingers to shape the hair, applying products such as gels or waxes, and blow-drying can be learned relatively quickly. However, more complex techniques such as layering, razor cutting, and creating intricate hairstyles may require more training and practice.
Ultimately, the difficulty of styling men’s hair depends on the individual’s natural abilities, experience, and willingness to learn and improve their skills. With patience, practice, and a willingness to learn, anyone can become proficient in styling men’s hair.
- Risky Business (1983) – In this movie, Tom Cruise sported a classic 80s hairstyle with a medium-length tousled haircut, often pushed back to show his forehead.
- Top Gun (1986) – In Top Gun, Cruise’s hair was styled in a pseudo military-style cut with lots of gel depending on the scene.
- The Color of Money (1986) – In this movie, Cruise had a longer haircut with feathered layers that framed his face and added volume to his hair.
- Rain Man (1988) – For this movie, Cruise’s hair was styled in a short, clean-cut style with a side part and a tapered back and sides.
- Jerry Maguire (1996) – In this movie, Cruise had a shorter, spiky hairstyle with a messy, unkempt look.
- Mission: Impossible II (2000) – In this sequel, Cruise’s hair was styled in a longer, shaggy cut with loose curls and waves.
- Collateral (2004) – For this movie, Cruise had a buzz cut with a neat, clean look, adding to his character’s menacing and intense personality.
- Tropic Thunder (2008) – In this comedy, Cruise had a completely different look, with a bald head and a prominent goatee.
- Interview with the Vampire (1994) – In this gothic horror film, Cruise played the role of Lestat, a vampire with long, flowing blonde hair.
- Magnolia (1999) – In the film “Magnolia,” Tom Cruise’s character, Frank T.J. Mackey, sports a distinctive hairstyle. He has short, slicked-back hair with a part on the side. The hair on the top of his head is longer than the sides and is styled in a slightly messy, textured manner. The hair is held in place with a generous amount of gel or pomade, giving it a shiny and wet look. The overall effect is a stylish and confident look that suits his character’s flamboyant personality.
- Minority Report (2002) – In this science fiction thriller, Cruise had a short, futuristic hairstyle with a clean-shaven look.
- War of the Worlds (2005) – In this science fiction movie, Cruise had a messy, disheveled haircut with longer strands on top and shorter sides and back.
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011) – In this fourth installment of the Mission: Impossible series, Cruise had a short, neat hairstyle with a side part and a combed-back look.
- Jack Reacher (2012) – In this action thriller, Cruise had a short military-style haircut with a slightly tousled look.
- Edge of Tomorrow (2014) – In this science fiction movie, Cruise had a short, practical haircut with a rugged and worn-out look, suitable for his character’s military background.
- The Mummy (2017) – In this horror-action movie, Cruise had a short, spiky hairstyle with a rugged, tough look.
- American Made (2017) – In this biographical crime movie, Cruise had a short, slicked-back hairstyle with a classic, vintage look.
- Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018) – In this sixth installment of the Mission: Impossible series, Cruise had a medium-length hairstyle with a messy, unkempt look, adding to the intensity of his character.
- Top Gun: Maverick (2022) – In the movie “Maverick,” Tom Cruise’s character, Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, has a short and tidy military-style haircut. The hair is cut short on the sides and back, while the hair on the top of the head is also cut relatively short and styled with a slight upward sweep. The hair is neatly parted on the left side, and the sides are tapered to blend smoothly with the top. The overall effect is a clean and polished look, reflecting the character’s disciplined and professional nature as a naval aviator.