Making the jump from a full time military career to working as a civilian can be both stressful and rewarding. If you are a veteran looking to make this transition here are eight websites that may be helpful.
- U.S. Office of Veterans Affairs — The VA can be a valuable resource for veterans seeking information about transitioning to civilian life. Information includes this list of job search-related resources.
- Feds Hire Vets — The official is the employment website from The U.S. Office of Personnel Management, Feds Hire Vets, provides federal employment information for transitioning military members and their family members.
- Hire Heroes USA — A nonprofit organization, Hire Heroes USA, offers job search assistance for U.S. military members, veterans and military spouses. Resources include; online and telephone career coaching, transition workshops, mock interviews, resume assistance, federal resume review, as well as career opportunities, outreach and job matching to assist clients into the civilian workforce.
- NPower — NPower is a nonprofit organization that helps military veterans and young adults from underserved communities to learn basic computer and technical skills so they can launch digital careers.
- Company programs — Many companies have programs specifically designed to encourage veterans to apply for job opportunities with their organizations. We Hire Heroes, for example, is a veteran-run organization that operates local job boards in major cities and offers resources for veterans, and for employers who want to hire former military members.
- Operation IMPACT Network of Champions — Northrop Grumman’s Operation IMPACT Network of Champions is a group of companies and nonprofits dedicated to helping injured veterans (or their surrogates) find jobs and transition from the military to a civilian career.
- Hirepurpose — Hirepurpose is a website built by veterans, for veterans, to help former service members find jobs and companies find top talent. You can post your resume on the site and sign up for job alerts.
- Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP) — MSEP is a recruitment and employment resource linked to the U.S. Department of Defense Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program.